One of our plans while we're away is to renew something we call Our The List - a running chronicle of things we need or would like to do as a family. It spans everything from changing lightbulbs to repairs on the house that are a decade down the road, from local factory tours to trips to Alaska to visit our homeschooling cousins, from lingering freelance projects to personal blog goals.
Well, believe it or not, the ladies of the iHomeschool Network decided that today was the perfect day for us all to share our family Summer Bucket List - the things we want to do before September rolls around, so while we'll develop lots more things on our trip, I had to get a sneak peek ready first!
Here's a look at some of what the Ottos want to do this summer!
- Go to a zoo.
- Go hiking. (Preferably somewhere where there are crayfish, Sarah says.)
- See Iron Man 3.
- Get a PlayStation 3. (This might be doable. We're going to have to see!)
- Finish reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 1: The Lightning Thief.
- Go to the beach.
- Visit the Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum.
- Visit (revisit, actually) the NASA Wallops Island Flight Facility and tour it.
- Visit the International Spy Museum.
- Attend and buy way too many books at the Book Nook Bonanza used book sale.
- Finish spreading the mulch. (This is embarrassing. We've had it for almost a month now and the last third or so is still in bags.)
- Change the lightbulbs in our master bath and bedroom. We're down past the halfway point. Again, slightly embarrassing, and a good testament to our imperfect homeschool/imperfect home!
- Do a super-thorough cleaning of our garage.
- Ready the finished basement for friends of ours to stay with us for a couple months and purge/relocate some of our stuff from down there as needed.
- Address the curb weeds. (This is Chris's hugest annoyance. We don't chemically treat them - we use an organic weed-mitigator - but they're a perpetual nuisance.)
- Get a new grill.
- Get our yard waste pile hauled away.
- Joan: Write, format and release my first homeschool-related ebook! Also, tackle some more of our family's 2012 scrapbook so that at least I'm not more than a year behind on my scrapping projects. Finally, complete with at least a high "B" average my upcoming Coursera courses on archaeology and mathematical philosophy.
- Sarah: Make it to level 20 with one character in World of Warcraft. Also, build a model of the U.S.S. Enterprise from Star Trek in Minecraft. Show an alpaca at the 4-H Fair in August.
- Chris: Have a postcard blogathon on Papergreat. Do what we can to make our family bookstore more successful. Start work on a piece of fiction.
So that's a look at some of our summer plans! Nothing earth-shattering, but we'll be together and having a good time. What is your summer looking like?